Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July



Carter playing with play-doh at the river.

For the fourth we drove to the Hill Country and stayed a few days on the Frio River. We thought leaving at night would be helpful to the kids and sleeping...but this wasn't the case. We hit traffic and construction near Luling that had us sitting in traffic for an hour and 10 minutes! So, our 5 hour drive took us 6 1/2 hours to get to the property.


We did arrive in the wee hours of 1:30 a.m. and got into bed around 2:30. Carter and Kara had a fun time playing in the shallow water behind Walter's family's property and Carter even went off the rope swing! I couldn't believe he said he wanted to go much less actually going off the rope! I don't think he really knew what he was getting himself into.


For the fourth we drove into Leaky, Texas and watched the hour long parade. I think we have enough candy and trinkets to last quite awhile. Kara had about 3 lollipops during the parade and enjoyed being her "Miss Independence" self. (See photos of shirt below). Both kids took good naps that afternoon only to be up getting sick for Carter! I think he was overly warm and just wasn't feeling well. After a little cool off in the river and some tylenol he was feeling well enough to go and watch a spectacular fireworks display. It lasted for over an hour (we left after an hour with a tired little girl).



Kara sitting in the river. Collecting rocks--


We headed home on Sunday around noon and of course hit traffic!!! I guess the delay was the forest fire in the distance that everyone was trying to catch a glimpse of- at least that is all I can come up with for why people would drive along and then SLAM on their brakes. Again the 5 hour drive took us 6 1/2 hours! We grabbed a pizza, picked up Gordy and my washing machine just finished the laundry from the weekend.
We had a great time and now we are settling in until our next trip.

1 comment:

The Skains Family said...

I love that last picture of Carter and Kara! That is so cute. It looks like you guys had a good 4th. I saw your comment on my blog. Just know that if you guys ever do decide to take a trip out to Cali to visit Disneyland, you have a free place to stay. It's not the biggest house ever (actually like half the size of our Spring house), but still we have room and would love to have you guys. So tell Walter to book you guys a trip to San Diego, LOL!